Saturday, November 10, 2007

Getting my GeForce 8800 working in Fedora 8

By combining what I've read from several other solutions, I managed to install the proprietary NVIDIA driver for my 8800 in Fedora 8. 
Steps were:
1. In the terminal I ran "yum update" to make sure I have the most current build. 
2. Then "yum install kernel-devel". This is very important, the NVIDA installation won't work without step 2!
3. Download the proprietary NVIDIA driver from nvidia.com. 
4. Kill X-serve, I did this by running typing "telinit 3", there are several other ways but this one works well enough.
5. Now that x-serve is off, go to the folder containing the driver, and type "sh NVIDIA.(whatever its called)".
6. An installer screen should come up, and it will probably want to compile it's own module. Everything should be self-explanatory for this. 
7. After installer is finished, reboot computer, and in terminal type:
  "nvidia-config-display enable"
  then "nvidia restart". 
8. You might need to restart X-server at this point, either way the driver should be installed and working at this point. 

No comments: