Tuesday, October 30, 2007

On Operating Systems

The new version of OSX , Leopard is quite interesting. I became a mac user only this summer and quickly found it to be quite superior to Windows. I have not abandoned Windows entirely as a .net programmer I am unable to leave it, my balance is found using parallels which allows me to use Windows like a tool instead of a desktop. Anyway one of the things I really enjoyed about Tiger was the fact that the operating system under that flashy productive GUI is Unix, or Unix like really. See I'm a Linux man, Fedora is my flavor and I really appreciated the fact that Tiger was Unix based. Anyway on to actually talking about Leopard. I did not like Leopard when I first tried using it, I found coverflow stupid, and I didn't like the way that the dock looks now. However after giving it a few days I have finally not just grown to like it but found it more productive than Tiger. Preview is awesome!!! preview has simplified the task of viewing things like mail attachments so much. No more waiting for Microsoft office to load or adobe for that matter, my document is immediately viewable. Another thing I really love is spaces, I was not sold on the idea as a Beryl Cube using Fedora man :). However as I've used it more and more I'm finding it much more useful than a cube effect. And I'm not sure why, as they both really accomplish the same thing. I suppose the ability to view all at once really helps.  There are many other things I have left out that I probably like without realizing it ,but the one thing I really want to mention is the fact that leopard's operating system is different than Tiger, certified Unix is under the hood. In fact that was the main reason I was excited about Leopard releasing. No open-source unix code will be easier than ever to make for Linux and OSX. And I find myself feeling like I'm in the same place when dealing with ftping or sshing it up through my macbook to linux box and back. CoverFlow is still stupid and not useful btw. Leopard has taken me a little bit longer to fall in love with than Tiger did, but after it's all done and said , Leopard is just another great update to a very already strong operating system that I hope will continue to grow in popularity. 

No comments: